Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Nap Times

We listened to two lectures this morning, one on Irish history in the 19th and 20th century, another on Irish film. Listening to the first and trying to stay awake felt like trying to dive to the bottom of a 30 meter swimming pool to get the plastic ring at the bottom, while failing each time (if you get my drift). Listening to the second one was a similar experience. To make matters worse, I was sitting in the center of the second row, so direct eye contact the whole time. I had to apologize on multiple occasions to mister and miss lecturers with my eyes before dozing off, wishing I had Homer's jury glasses. But it was fine, really. We then went to register for classes. It took 5 of us more than two hours to figure out how the system worked. Unlike American universities, Trinity's registration system relies solely on paper. We need to write down our courses on a grid, submit it to Brenda the administrative assistant for her to make a photo copy. Brenda then submits our charts to the Head of School who signs off on our classes, and we need to go back to the office the next day to pick up our schedules. No happy green enrollment arrow. I guess an old university cherishes its old ways. After spending two and a half hours doing this, I have classes! They will be:

1. John Donne
2. Milton and the Revolutionary era
3. Irish Writing 1890-1945
4. Vikings and Crusaders in Early Ireland

The best part is that I don't have class on Monday or Friday, so that fantastic four-day weekend will be great for routine trips.

Tonight we saw a play with the Semester Start-Up Programme called the "The Government Inspector." Though it was hilarious and the actors were all quite good, I pulled a Bubby and fell asleep throughout most of Act I. I was sitting in the second row too, and felt like what Bill Clinton must have felt like during that MLK rally since I knew the actors would probably notice. At intermission I got a coffee and was awake for Act II, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I decided to walk home early since I was too tired today, and right before I got home I stepped in dog shit. I then spent about 20 minutes getting every last granule off the bottom of my shoe, and now it's cleaner than ever.

Today was my first stressful day in Ireland, but now that I have my classes in order it should be smooth sailing from here.

1 comment:

  1. How are the dance clubs in Europe? Are the irish girls cute or are you just sticking to the ones that you crossed the pond with?

    ReplyDelete